Raising or caring for a child with autism can be a very rewarding experience. At the same time, the challenges that come with this experience can also be extremely stressful for parents and caregivers who may lack their own support systems. All parents, whether they are raising a typically developing child or one with special needs, have a difficult job to do. Self care while tending to a child with autism presents its own set of challenges, which can quickly escalate to create tension within the home if parents do not have the knowledge, support, and relief necessary to manage the unique obstacles and difficult situations that come with trying to meet their child’s special needs.
Self-care has little to do with self-absorption and everything to do with health and wellness. In fact, self-care can be one of the best ways for parents to not only meet their own needs, but also their family’s responsibilities. The reality is that the only way to take the best care of your family, is to make sure you are taking time to take care of yourself. Once you view self- care through the correct lens, it is easy to see that it’s anything but selfish.
There are 4 main areas of self-care: physical, emotional, social, and spiritual self-care.
Reasons you MUST care for yourself:
- Not allowing time for your own needs, will build up stress and depression, causing you to fall apart physically, mentally, and emotionally.
- Neglecting yourself for a long period of time, will cause you to not be able to care for your child properly.
Here is a list of helpful tips and ways to relax and rejuvenate your energy:
- Going for a walk
- Getting enough sleep
- Eating healthy and nourishing meals
- Getting a massage
- Play a sport
- Taking a bath
- Learn to say YES to yourself and your needs
- Write down 3 things that you accomplished each day
- Being aware of your emotional boundaries
- Give unconditionally
- Know when to receive
- Practice self-compassion
- Allow yourself to make mistakes no one is perfect
- Go out with your friends
- Meet new people
- Spend time with family
- Spend time in nature
- Write a journal
- Unplug from technology
- Read a book
- Listen to music
Please feel free to contact us for any more information.